POLAR PLUNGE FUNDRAISING TIPS
Email is an incredibly effective fundraising tool, reaching people all over the world with the click of a button. It is a great way to spread the word about your participation, to ask others to join your team, or to make a donation to support your fundraising efforts.
Tips & Tricks
- Make it personal: Tell your story. Share with others why you participate, whether it’s because you are participating for fun, someone double-dog dared you or simply because you love Special Olympics!
- If you have participated before, share a picture of you at the event.
- If it’s your first time, share your nerves and excitement!
- Have fun with it! Make a contest or game out of it – the first person to donate, or the largest donation, gets a gift from you. Or think of something else that might motivate your donors!
- Set a reasonable fundraising goal. Donors want to see their friends succeed. In fact, some will donate again if they know their friend is close to their goal.
- If you reach your goal, increase it and send an email to everyone you reached out to for donations. It's a great way to give a gentle reminder to those who haven't given yet, and a nice way to thank those who have supported your efforts.
- Share your page: Send your page to everyone in your address book. The great thing about your personal fundraising page is that you don’t have to go door-to-door to ask for donations. Instead of spending days on phone calls or visits, you can send an email to multiple people in just a few minutes.
- Don’t be timid about asking for support: Because you are not asking people in person to donate, it takes the anxiety off of both parties.
- Follow-up: Be sure to say thank you to donors after they make their donation and again after you take the Plunge. Send them a picture of you plunging with the results from the event.
- Be creative and have fun! Think of crazy ideas to encourage donors to support your fundraising efforts! (For every $100 raised you'll dunk in the water that many times.)